If your tail light is broken, it might seem like something you should leave to a professional. Tail lights on newer models can be harder to fix because of how they are designed. However, replacing a broken tail light is something you can do yourself quite easily. Here's how:
Before The Beginning
First, you will need to buy a replacement lens. For the tools, you just need a socket wrench, screwdriver, and crowbar. You should have these things in your car anyway in case of emergencies. It is best to do the repair at home in your garage, but if that's not possible then try to find a covered spot away from moving cars.
If it's raining, make sure to use the emergency brake if you park on an incline. Use road flares and reflective cones at night if it's dark outside. Be firm but gentle when removing and installing the new lens. You will need to use force, but don't use too much or you might break something or rip some wires. If you are in need of a tail light bulb visit https://taillightbulb.com/ for a detailed guide to help you choose.
- Turn off the car to avoid electric shock.
- You will need to remove the screws from your car. This is usually done from the outside of the car. However, newer models typically have screws in less visible places, such as in the trunk area. Depending on the type of screw, you will need a wrench or a screwdriver.
- Tail lights are on the back of cars. Twist out the bulb socket in your car and it should release the Tail Light Assembly.
- The Tail Light is a light on the back of your car that tells people what kind of car you have. To get to it, we need to remove our Tail Light Assembly. This may take some force and use both hands.
- Take the old lens off your car. There might be screws or thumb nuts holding it in place.
- When you replace the lens in a tail light, remember to secure it in place with whatever fasteners held the old lens.
- Re-install the tail light. Twist the bulb socket clockwise until it locks into place and secure with any screws or fasteners you removed earlier.
Tail lights help you see the other cars on the road. You need to make sure they are working properly or bad things could happen.